iptables can't initialize iptables table `filter': Bad file descriptor

I am running a 2.6.21 kernel on an ARM architecture with iptables version 1.3.6. Iptables support is compiled into the kernel as modules:

ts7000:~# lsmod | grep iptable
iptable_filter 2368 0
ip_tables 10952 1 iptable_filter

When I try to use iptables I get an error:

ts7000:~# iptables -L
iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Bad file
descriptor
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

This is the first time I have used iptables. Is there something else that needs to be done before I can run the above command?

I am constrained to use the kernel (although I can reconfigure it and rebuild it), as it was custom-configured for my platform, but I tried to manually build and install version 1.4.9.1 of iptables and received the same error. I also read that the "Bad file descriptor" error can sometimes mean file system corruption, so I ran fsck on the file system and it is clean.

If anyone can suggest things to try to resolve this problem, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Don