Re: Help tweaking asterisk rules

On 21/01/2011 02:05, Max DiOrio wrote:
I was also hoping someone can provide some guidance on leaving the RTP
ports UDP 10000:20000 open to all IP's on the WAN.  What type of
security issue will this raise?  Should I install Fail2Ban in this
setup?  The only issue I have with Fail2Ban was that it blocked my
access from the LAN within 15 seconds of it coming online.

They needn't be open at all. Instead, load the the ip_conntrack_sip module and ensure that your iptables policy is stateful.

http://www.iptel.org/sipalg/

Using fail2ban carelessly might pave the way for remotely exploitable DoS attacks. Though it has its uses, I wouldn't generally recommend it.

http://www.ossec.net/main/attacking-log-analysis-tools

Cheers,

--Kerin