Re: Ebtables usage

On 2/16/2011 4:50 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Jacky Lam a écrit :
I want to share a network service by two computers but I don't have
any extra router or switch, but one computer has 2 ethernet cards and
running Linux. But that computer is old and slow. So I want to know if
I can set up that computer as a ethernet level switch/bridge.
What kind of network service ? Is that service running on the old computer ?
You can set up a computer as an ethernet bridge, but that old computer
may not be fast enough to handle gigabit traffic.

I mean the internet service. Yes, the old computer is very slow. That's why I want to lower the overhead while being a switch.
That means I am done right (except the two rules at the beginning) to
setup a ethernet switch? I don't need to setup any rules by iptables
or ebtables?
You need iptables and ebtables rules for IP and ethernet packet
filtering and mangling. You don't need them if the box does only plain
routing or bridging.

Thanks.