Re: ebtables & VLAN redirect

On 06/29/10 13:15, Anatoly Muliarski wrote:
Session may be not fully correct word - more precisely it should understand as IP traffic flows specified by address:port pairs to dump the traffic.

So you are wanting to mirror specific flows that are passing through your system to VLAN 9.

What interfaces are these flows being passed through? The bridge and another (virtual) interface? In other words, what would be an example of an incoming interface and an out going interface? Or is this traffic making it to your system because it is multicast / flooded on each VLAN?

Your explanation is correct BUT in current bridging model there would be a hundred attempts to flood ALL broadcast/multicast traffic received from every bridge port. Yes, I can filter them out by using ebtables rules, but this unnecessary attempts will waste CPU time.

Ok. Just my opinion, but if this system is being designed to do this (presuming there are not other options) I'd make sure that the CPU was scaled to function with the amount of traffic.

Writing "to limit traffic direction between bridge devices" I meant there is no support to exclude attempts of flood to ALL ports by limiting a direction of flooding in the description of a bridge device.

Ok... Now it sounds like you are wanting some more advanced features (read things that purposefully break standards in some situations) like broadcast storm protection.

OK bridging will work, but I am afraid to meet performance issues afterwards as I stated above.

Maybe, maybe not.

Very interesting.

*nod*

Thank you for your advise, It worth to employ ebtables in solving my tasks. And I have met the same problem with MACs in other project and I had to generate different source MACs for different VLANs and eventually I had to replace the switch to cope with the problem of matching destination MACs for different VLANs.

I'm starting to wonder if your system isn't being used as a traditional piece of network infrastructure equipment (router / switch / bridge). Rather if you are trying to make a utility that will ""extend a monitoring package that is designed to monitor one VLAN in such a way that it can monitor multiple VLANs. Or at least bridge the traffic you want to monitor from multiple VLANs down to one VLAN that your application can monitor.

If this is the case, and you are using separate VLANs to avoid network congestion problems, I agree that bridging might not be the best option here.

In this case, I'd look at doing something that will cause your system to receive the traffic you are interested in and pass on to the monitoring application. - I'm guessing that an application layer gateway would probably be best at doing this.

The simple fact that you have the amount of incoming traffic that you want to filter and forward a subset of implies that there will be CPU time spent analyzing which traffic to forward.

Grant. . . .