Re: ebtables & VLAN redirect

2010/6/28 Grant Taylor <gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> 3. Mirroring specific sessions to VLAN 9 - and I can postpone this task
>> for the future.
>
> Please clarify what you are meaning by "mirroring specific sessions".

Session may be not fully correct word - more precisely it should
understand as IP traffic flows specified by address:port pairs to dump
the traffic.

>> Bridging is a good idea, but its current implementation lacks some
>> features important to me - as impossibility to limit traffic directions
>> between bridge devices and the fact that a network device can belong to one
>> bridge only.
>
> Please clarify "impossibility to limit traffic direction between bridge
> devices".
>
> It is trivial to allow bridging one way while blocking it the other way.
>
> I.e. set an EBTables policy to DROP and only allow bridging the direction
> you want.
>
> VID:100 --> VID:9
> VID:101 --> VID:9
> VID:102 --> VID:9
> VID:199 --> VID:9
>
> Bridging does not have to be by-directional.  You can easily make EBTables
> not bridge the traffic.

Your explanation is correct BUT in current bridging model there would
be a hundred attempts to flood ALL broadcast/multicast traffic
received from every bridge port. Yes, I can filter them out by using
ebtables rules, but this unnecessary attempts will waste CPU time.
Writing "to limit traffic direction between bridge devices" I meant
there is no support to exclude attempts of flood to ALL ports by
limiting a direction of flooding in the description of a bridge
device.

> It may be my mis-understanding, but I'm still not seeing why you can't do
> this in EBTables using bridging.
>
> If you bridge all your VLANs together and configure EBTables to filter the
> traffic, I don't see what the problem will be.
>
> All your layer 3 traffic will behave as if it is on one large network,
> passing through the bridge with out the need for modification.  Granted, you
> can modify the traffic if you /want/ to, but I don't see the /need/ for it.
>  At least based on my (mis)understanding.

OK bridging will work, but I am afraid to meet performance issues
afterwards as I stated above.

> Let me ask you this:
>
> Do you want your different user VLANs to be able to communicate with each
> other?  (Inter user VLAN communications)
>
> How would this scenario work for you:
>
>  - Bridge all the user VLANs and the VLAN 9 together.
>  - Configure the bridge to drop the frames by default.
>  - Configure the bridge to selectively bridge the frames that you want to.
>  - Optionally alter the bridged frames if you want to.
>
> I think I did something similar to what you are wanting to do a number of
> years ago.  I bridged about 40 different VLANs (sharing one IP subnet)
> together and configured them so that they could not talk with each other
> (preventing the spread of virus / worms) but so that they could talk to the
> router that was on a different VLAN that was part of the bridge.  In the
> process I had to modify the MAC address of traffic b/c the switch that was
> being used had a flaw where it could not see the same MAC address on more
> than one VLAN.  This has been in place and working just fine for a number of
> years.  Originally it started out on a P-II 233 MHz system with 128 MB of
> memory and it was able to do it with out any problems.  The only reason we
> replaced the box was because it was physically old and we did not want the
> hardware to dye on us.  I ended up copying the EBTables scripts from the old
> system to the new system and made very minor modifications to get everything
> to work (essentially as it was) with out any problems.

Very interesting.
Thank you for your advise, It worth to employ ebtables in solving my tasks.
And I have met the same problem with MACs in other project and I had
to generate different source MACs for different VLANs and eventually I
had to replace the switch to cope with the problem of matching
destination MACs for different VLANs.

--
Best regards
Anatoly Muliarski