Re: ebtables & VLAN redirect

2010/6/28 Grant Taylor <gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Will you please provide an example of what redirection you are talking
> about?

Unfortunately, I have a set of tasks to cope with.
1. UDP broadcast relaying for specific ports from specific VLANs - on
second thought I've decided to use udp-broadcast-relay as it's the
simplest way.
2. Multicast feeding and IGMP exchange snooping - I tried to avoid
using igmpproxy but probably I should use it.
3. Mirroring specific sessions to VLAN 9 - and I can postpone this
task for the future.

> Remember that you can set a default policy of DROP in your BROUTING chain to
> cause the packets to be routed like normal.  So any frames that you don't
> want bridged will simply be routed like normal.  There by only bridging the
> frames that you want to.

Yes, I knew about it - very nice feature.

>> That would work but I need to redirect traffic that is not destined to
>> VLAN 9 and ARP-proxy trick does not work for this case.
>
> So you are going to have to intercept the traffic and alter the destination
> MAC (and possibly IP) address(es)?

For mirroring purpose I have to alter destination MAC and I can do
that in POSTROUTING chain.
Other tasks use broadcast/multicast destination addresses so I do not
need to alter them.

> I believe that EBTables can do that.  If not, you can probably have IPTables
> work on bridged frames, and I know that it will do that.
>
> I'm still not sure that you can't do what you want to do with EBTables and /
> or IPTables.
>
> Remember that EBTables will learn where MAC addresses are and won't flood
> frames out (go in to dumb hub mode).
>
> I don't think you will be bridging too many packets.  (That is unless I
> really misunderstand what you are wanting to do.)

Bridging is a good idea, but its current implementation lacks some
features important to me - as impossibility to limit traffic
directions between bridge devices and the fact that a network device
can belong to one bridge only.

> Can you provide an example (sanitized if need be) of what you are trying to
> do?  Including (hypothetical) source and destination MAC and IP addresses on
> either side of the bridge?

In two words :). All user VLANs(eth1.100-eth1.200) have IP belonging
to one subnet( but sometimes to other ) and they can communicate each
other by using proxy-arp trick under control of the router. And now I
need to extend capabilities of this communication as I stated above.
Owing to talking with you and thinking on the problems I understand my
tasks clearer.
Grant, thank you for your support.

--
Best regards