Re: [ Siccess ]How to protect apache benchmarking attack ?

J. Bakshi wrote:
> J. Bakshi wrote:

>>> Hello J.,

>>> You can use hashlimit [1] match of iptables to limit concurrent
>>> connections from single IP.
>>>
>>> [1] http://linux.die.net/man/8/iptables -> lookup hashlimit; note:
>>> current versions of hashlimit can also use srcip as --hashlimit-mode;
>>> that's probably what you want
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Marek Kierdelewicz
>>>

>> Hello Marek,
>>
>> thanks for your prompt reply. I'll look into the hashlimit as you
>> suggest.  Though a question in mind. Can It somehow affect the web
>> access from general users. ?  I need the protection but also don't  like
>> my protection makes the web service block general  users somehow :-)
>>
>> Any real-life configuration is always Welcome.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> What about modifying
>
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

> |iptables -A INPUT -m hashlimit -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80  \|
> |--hashlimit 200/sec --hashlimit-mode srcip --hashlimit-name http \ |
> |-m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT|
>
> ?

I get success with

`  `  `
iptables -A INPUT -m hashlimit -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80  \
--hashlimit 400/sec   \
--hashlimit-mode srcip --hashlimit-name http \
-m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

`   `   `

Now I like to add IP blocking for 1 min.  I have added

--hashlimit-burst 200 --hashlimit-htable-expire 60000

and the rule failed to work at all.  I think --hashlimit-burst  need to
set to work properly. But what is the actual concept of
--hashlimit-burst ? Is it really mandatory here to block IP ? Please
suggest. My rule is working fine but the IP blocking is missing only.
Please let me know the actual concept behind --hashlimit-burst .

Thanks

--
জয়দীপ বক্সী