Re: How to protect apache benchmarking attack ?

J. Bakshi wrote:
> Marek Kierdelewicz wrote:
>
>>> Hello all,
>>>

>> Hello J.,
>>

>>> I am dared to see what "ab" (apache benchmarking too) can do  against
>>> an apache server.  I have used the following against my server to check
>>> call handling
>>>

>> You can use hashlimit [1] match of iptables to limit concurrent
>> connections from single IP.
>>
>> [1] http://linux.die.net/man/8/iptables -> lookup hashlimit; note:
>> current versions of hashlimit can also use srcip as --hashlimit-mode;
>> that's probably what you want
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Marek Kierdelewicz
>>

> Hello Marek,
>
> thanks for your prompt reply. I'll look into the hashlimit as you
> suggest.  Though a question in mind. Can It somehow affect the web
> access from general users. ?  I need the protection but also don't  like
> my protection makes the web service block general  users somehow :-)
>
> Any real-life configuration is always Welcome.
>
> Thanks

What about modifying

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

|iptables -A INPUT -m hashlimit -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80  \|
|--hashlimit 200/sec --hashlimit-mode srcip --hashlimit-name http \ |
|-m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT|

?

--
জয়দীপ বক্সী