Re: Best Kernel QoS Parameters

Yep. I forgot to include netfilter really. I resend the message to netfilter to see this.

The documentation, really, is very poor in this question.

I think that
1) Preemptible Kernel - Hability to the kernel "interrupt" a process to insert the scheduler in the processor again (more accuracy) 2) Tickless System - Generate a "timer interrupt" when it is more needed. In the scheduler case, make it more "fast". 3) 1000 HZ Kernel - Generate more granularity, inserting a 1ms max latency to the tick.

I think that, in the newest version of the kernel, these are the more important parameters.

Now, about the hardware: I have, for example:
~#~ ethtool -g eth0
Ring parameters for eth0:
Pre-set maximums:
RX:             4096
RX Mini:        0
RX Jumbo:       0
TX:             4096
Current hardware settings:
RX:             256
RX Mini:        0
RX Jumbo:       0
TX:             80

My preocupation is: the Shaper (htb, hfsc, etc) use this parameters in your configuration? The programmers have in mind that this buffer can affect the eficiency of shaper? Because if I can enqueue/dequeue packets in the hardware, obviously that the Kernel won't have any acknowledgement about these packets. But it will affect the QoS in slow lines, such ADSL and others, when the one, two or three packets inserted in the hardware layer and ignored by the QoS can borrow all the configuration, inserting unknown latencies and other problems.

To me, it's very important the precision, because I have clients with 1 or more MB of link and 56, 48 kbps clients too, and I need to have these in mind.

Thanks a lot for all help!

Michele Petrazzo - Unipex escreveu:
Lucas Willian Bocchi wrote:
Dear Michelle

Ciao,
Lucas

(I think you forgot to include the netfilter address into the sent)

Even when you choose your shaper, you need to use the "granularity" of
kernel to more exact QoS.

The preferences that I know is

1) Preemptible Kernel
2) Tickless System
3) 1000 HZ Kernel

With these parameters on, the shaper precision is very, very increased.
But I think that have another parameters that improve more the speed.

If you talk with hard precision in mind, I'm with you. But into a real
systems like mine, where p.e. if a user as 1Mb bw and the shaper wrong
for 1 or 2 kb, for me it's not a real problem. (admitting that the shape
wrong by a simple 1/2%)

However I didn't know the exists of those parameters... No one doc or
books that I study mentioned them. Also on this ml, if I remember
correctly, no one say to use them.
Seeing like now the default .config found on
arch/x86/configs/x86_64_defconfig anyway the 1000hz and preemptible are
already set. So I'm feeling like!
Next time I'll upgrade my kernel I'll take care to enable also the
tickless parameter!

Un saluto a tutti italian.

You forgot the last "i" into "italiani". Italian are in English :)

I'm italian descendent. My father was bird in Napole and bring from
Brazil very young.

I'm a bit far from Napole, talking with Italian distances, about 1k km.
For understand, near Austria.

Michele