Re: Multiple interfaces with the same IP address

Greg Wilson-Lindberg wrote:
Ok, I can use route to add the various IP addresses that are on each HDLC channel to the routing tables. There are a lot of machines, but because the addresses are well known/formatted, generating the scripts automatically won't be to bad. But how do I handle broadcast addresses such as 172.16.255.255, 172.16.128.255, or 172.16.129.15 that need to go out all of the HDLC channels?

How are those going to appear on the gateway's 10net interface in the first place? I thought stuff like "directed broadcast" was verboten these days and essentially unsupported by any stack. That is why I was asking if these were to be broadcasts or perhaps IP multicasts - where IP multicasts *can* and do get routed.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but on the surface, the setup you've described sounds terribly kludged and so very brittle, and given the domain of your email and a bit of reader imagination that is, well, troubling :)

rick jones