Re: Using IPTables to route both dynamic local address and static addresses provided by ISP?

Here is an idea using brctl & ebtables, not iptables. Looks like you
need your box runs as a router and switch. It's very common use on DSL
routers called "Triple Play", or port based VLAN. I assume your
topology as: eth0(Internet), eth1(Server), eth2, eth3(private LAN).
1) Create a bridge for eth2 & eth3 with "brctl". Call it br0.
2) Dial out with eth0, you will get ppp0 for Internet.
3) Create a bridge for eth0 & eth1 with "brctl". Call it br1.
4) Set up rules with "ebtables", INPUT chain to DROP packets from eth1.
I didn't try it on my box, but I suppose it works.
Any feed back is appreciated.
Thanks

2009/9/7, Pascal Hambourg <pascal.mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
>
> Gregory Ray a écrit :
>> I am running iptables as a dhcp router from a pppoe connection
>
> Iptables is neither a router nor a DHCP server. Do you mean "I am
> running a Linux box working as a DHCP server and as a router" ?
>
>> can I have it route the standard local ips to the
>> workstations but also have my other servers utilize the static ips
>> available in the block from my isp?
>
> Sure. I suppose that the privante addresses are masqueraded with the
> PPPoE public address. For the public static block, you have two options.
>
> 1) Assign private addresses to the servers and use DNAT+SNAT to create
> 1:1 mapppings with public addresses from the static block.
>
> 2) Assign public addresses from the static block to the servers.
>
> Are the servers and workstations on the same LAN ?
> What is the size of the public static block and how many public servers
> do you have ?
> --

BRs
nuynehc@xxxxxxxxx