Re: FTP-server on non-standard port behind DNAT, client behind SNAT

Pokotilenko Kostik a écrit :

You are extremely right :) That was the case, removing MasqueradeAddress
made it work!

Glad it helped. However I wonder why it was working on port 21 and not on port 3421.

I was unable to find the information on how does conntrack_ftp/nat_ftp
work, otherwise I would found out the right way.

The source code is available. (just kidding)

The Netfilter conntrack/NAT helper is smart enough and does all the dirty job transparently so neither the client or server should bother about NAT issues. It monitors the control connection, translates the address and port information in it, translates and marks the data connections as RELATED, in both active and passive modes. All this assumes that the control connection is cleartext, not encrypted with SSL/TLS.

Note that if you want to use active mode on the non standard port from the masqueraded client, the SNAT device must be aware that this ports is used for FTP control connections. Most NAT devices handle FTP only on port 21.

Only when the NAT device is "dumb" (not FTP-aware) or encryption is used the masqueraded end must advertise the public address, reserve a port range for data connections and have this port range explicitly DNATed to its private address by the NAT device.