conntrackd working, but netfilter not impressed

Hi folks,

I am in the process of setting up a redundant router/firewall cluster. That means: 2 routers, connected to 2 upstream routers, using OSPFv2 for routing. OS is Centos 5.2.

Both have also firewalls configured. Since using OSPF I cannot avoid asynchronous routing perfectly, so I have installed conntrack-tools to synchronize the connection tracking tables of the firewalls.

conntrackd seems to work fine - using "conntrackd -e" I can see entries having been synchronized over from the other router - and vice versa.

But testing it practically it failes nonetheless. This is what I tested:

1. Ping from a server to the outside (internet).
2. I can see the ping packets leave via router2 and the answer come back in via router1. 3. conntrackd -e on router1 shows exactly this connection, so it has been replicated from router2 to router1 4. netfilter on router1 blocks the incoming packets as being new (I check that via log prefixes)

That looks like conntrackd is sync'ing over the connection table entries, but not writing them into the kernel's connection tracking table. I have set "CacheWriteThrough" to "on" to achieve that. The logs do not show anything at all (just the startup messages).

Googling for "active-active" setup of conntrackd show some hints on special configuration this setup needs, but the documentation does not list any.

So I am stuck. Any help or hint is appreciated. Here is my setup:
Sync {
	Mode FTFW {
		ResendBufferSize 262144
		CommitTimeout 180