Re: ip_queue, libnetfilter_queue, and packet alteration

Hello,

On Tuesday, 2008 July 22 at 17:02:14 -0700, Curtis Wyatt wrote:
> I am using ip_queue.  I understand that is depreciated.
>
> I want to intercept a packet, alter it (change payload and source ip
> address and destination ip address) and then do an NF_ACCEPT on it, to
> have it continue on its way to another machine.  However it never
> shows up at that other machine.  Is there anyway to do this without
> doing an NF_DROP and then sending a new packet through?
>
> Will libnetfilter_queue do this for me?

Yes, but you will have to compute the checksum of the modified packet by
yourself.

Someone should send a patch which adds helper functions to ease that
task in a day or two.

> I don't want to move to
> libnetfilter_queue because I can't find a redhat rpm and I can't find
> hardly any documentation on it.

Compilation is not really difficult but lack of documentation is a real
problem. The only thing for now is too look at snort-inline or NuFW code
to see how to use the library.

BR,
--
Eric Leblond