Re: NAT rule

On 07/16/08 11:12, Michael Crider wrote:
I am attempting to set up a LAN-to-LAN VPN using ipsec-tools for one of our vendors to access a server behind our firewall. However, the local IP address of the server (192.168.10.xx) conflicts with a local address at the vendor's network. They suggested using NAT to transform the server address to 192.168.101.xx and hooking the VPN to the 192.168.101.0/24 network. I would like to run the VPN on the same machine with the firewall (which uses netfilter 1.3.5-4 on CentOS 5.2). We need to be able to initiate a connection from either end of the VPN. Could anybody recommend iptables rules that would set up the address translation?

This really sounds like an IP address conflict between your side of the VPN and the vendors side of the VPN. Presuming that this is indeed the case you will need to address this issue before you try to do the VPN or things will get very harry.

Based on the statement "... They suggested using NAT to transform the server address to 192.168.101.xx and hooking the VPN to the 192.168.101.0/24 network. ..." it sounds like they are encouraging you to add a second subnet (192.168.101.x/24) and having them access it. That way they will VPN from what ever subnet they have to your new 192.168.101.x/24 subnet where they will connect to the server.

If this is indeed the case, you could easily add the additional subnet to your configuration as an alias. That way all that needs to be done is to set up the VPN from their office / subnet to your office / new subnet. NATing would not even need to be involved. If this will fulfill their needs this is actually quite simple to do. Add a new subnet to an alias on the server in question and to the VPN router the server uses as its gateway. On the server you would need to add a route to the remote network via the new 192.168.101.x/24 address of the router. This will ensure that the server will continue using your existing default gateway's IP address to get to the general internet.

In short, add a new IP to two pieces of equipment, set up the VPN, and add a single route statement to the target server and you are done.

Grant. . . .