Re: conntrack and ESTABLISHED / UNREPLIED connections

Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:

Client sends RST, which is out of (before) the window (left edge is at 2354211889), thus ignored by the server.

That makes sense, but it seems like conntrack processes the RST and marks the original connection as closed, then treats the server resends as new outgoing connections, which doesn't seem right.

In other words, if the server's TCP stack is ignoring the RST, shouldn't conntrack ignore it, too?

It apparently doesn't -- I used the "conntrack -E" tool to show a log of these connections, and it definitely shows it handling the RST, then detecting a new connection in the other direction from the retried outgoing packets.

Here's an example of one:

 http://www.tigertech.net/20080710.txt

This includes the tcpdump, plus (at the end) the output of the "conntrack" tool used in both directions, showing how it incorrectly detected a new connection in the outbound direction. Unfortunately the conntrack output doesn't show timestamps, but I was watching it, and the spurious outbound "connection" was detected during the retries, within maybe 30 seconds after the incoming connection was DESTROYed.

You wrote the client runs Mac OS X 10.4.11. I don't really know what's wrong with it but it seems as a client related issue - or an ISP between the client and server which tries to generate fake RST packets to tear down connections.

Whatever it is, it's unfortunately quite common -- as I said, any of our reasonably-busy Web servers show thousands of such phantom connections from hundreds of unique IP addresses.

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies