Re: conntrack and ESTABLISHED / UNREPLIED connections

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Robert L Mathews wrote:

> Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
>
> > If the data packet sent by the server is valid, the client should send an
> > ACK and not a RST packet. If the data packet is invalid, the client should
> > send an ACK again and not a RST.
>
> Actually, unless I'm misunderstanding, RFC1122 section 4.2.2.13 seems to allow
> what the client is doing:
>
>   A host MAY implement a "half-duplex" TCP close sequence, so
>   that an application that has called CLOSE cannot continue to
>   read data from the connection.  If such a host issues a
>   CLOSE call while received data is still pending in TCP, or
>   if new data is received after CLOSE is called, its TCP
>   SHOULD send a RST to show that data was lost.
>
> So in this case, the client app closed the connection even though there was
> data from the server that hadn't been delivered, and the client's TCP stack
> replied with a RST as described above.

Yes, that's correct and I was wrong above.

> > If the server receives the RST packet (and it's valid) it should never ever
> > send unsent data but destroy the connection.
>
> That's what I would have thought, but packet dumps are showing otherwise. On a
> standard Debian 2.6.24 kernel it keeps retrying the un-acked packet for more
> than a minute despite the RST, as shown at the end of:
>
>  http://tigertech.net/20080703.tcpdump.server.txt

Is the RST segment valid? Could you create a dump file using the '-S' flag
of tcpdump so that not relative but absolute sequence numbers are printed?

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxx