Re: Loopback security...

On 04/22/08 11:50, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:
I have to confess that i have almost none experience with other network OSs different than Linux. But i really think that this idea of loopback interface do NOT connects to real interfaces it not a linux decision. It seems to me that this is basically the whole loopback idea: a network interface that connects the machine to itself, thus allowing TCP/IP to fully exist even if the machine is not connect to 'real' networks.

I don't know for sure if the loopback network being isolated is limited to Linux or not. I do know that Microsoft's TCP/IP implementation has a laughable loopback setup. Other than that I can not say.

To me, the concept of the loopback interface is just a very unique network interface. Personally I could be equally happy with an ethernet interface with a loopback plug in it used as the loopback interface with in the system. I think the idea of having the interface always available is a good idea, but mainly there to remove the dependency on other network interfaces and drivers there for.

I can see why there is a logical isolation of the loopback interface from the rest of the network, however I wish that the isolation was optional, much like reverse path filtering.

The loopback interface is not 'connected' to the network, i really dont think that this would be possible to configure or tweak.

To me this is just a routing decision more so than any thing else.

Grant. . . .