Re: Loopback security...

Grant Taylor escreveu:
It is my (mis)understanding that the Linux kernel treats the loopback interface and / or the 127.0.0.1/8 subnet as (in a word) "sacred" and as such secures it. I believe I understand the mentality of this and do not have a problem with it.
Are you sure you understand it right ??? What do you mean by 'linux consider it secure' ?? do you mean it has no access control by default ???? This happens with ALL linux network (logical and phisical) ones. If you need access control on network level, then you got iptables !!!

However after helping someone work around this problem (via rinetd) I find my self asking wondering is it possible to disable this security on the loopback interface.
What was the problem solved/workarounded ???? Tell us what happened and maybe we'll tell you if using rinetd was a smart solution and, if it's not, maybe give you other better workaround tips.

Is there a /proc and / or sys control entry that can be throbbed to allow traffic in to and / or out of the loopback interface?

   No seek and hide games .... tell us what's really your problem please.

Do you mean loopback interface to throw/receive traffic on your phisical network, ie, ethernet cables ??? If this is your idea, it goes against the whole loopback idea and i think it certainly cant be done.

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues

	gertrudes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx