Re: Loopback security...

On 04/22/08 06:01, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:
Are you sure you understand it right ??? What do you mean by 'linux consider it secure' ?? do you mean it has no access control by default ???? This happens with ALL linux network (logical and phisical) ones. If you need access control on network level, then you got iptables !!!

No, you mis-understood me. What I meant by "Linux considers it secure" is that (by default) it will not let any traffic in to our out of the loopback interface from / to a different interface. I.e. (presuming that a bind an additional subnet (192.0.2/24 ""Test network) to the loopback interface and set up another station to route to it via the static ip on the ethernet interface.

+---+                  +---+
| A +-- - - -  - - - --+ B |

Suppose I bind 192.0.2.1 to A's loop back interface and add a route to 192.0.2/24 to B via 10.0.0.1. If I try to ping 192.0.2.1 from B, the traffic will leave B and go down the wire just like it should. However my experience shows that A will not forward the traffic in to the loopback interface and destination IP. Note: This config is with all firewalling completely disabled and forwarding enabled.

Said another way, Linux will not allow foreign traffic (non localhost) on the loopback interface for security reasons. I believe this to be a design decision based on security.

What was the problem solved/workarounded ???? Tell us what happened and maybe we'll tell you if using rinetd was a smart solution and, if it's not, maybe give you other better workaround tips.

This is not an actual problem but rather a (theoretical) discussion on whether such is or is not possible to do with Linux.

No seek and hide games .... tell us what's really your problem please.

Again, this is not a game or a problem to solve, merely a question / discussion of "Is it possible..." to send traffic in to and / or out of the loopback interface. If it is not possible (by default) is it possible to disable this built in / inherent security?

Do you mean loopback interface to throw/receive traffic on your phisical network, ie, ethernet cables ??? If this is your idea, it goes against the whole loopback idea and i think it certainly cant be done.

Yes, this is what I was asking. I know and understand fully well why this generally is not done. However I wanted to know if it is possible to throb some setting on the system to allow this to do be done against better advice.

Grant. . . .