Re: ip6tables icmp conntracking on 2.6.18 vs 2.6.24

also sprach Pascal Hambourg <pascal.mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008.04.04.1819 +0200]:
>> Note, however, that the 2.6.18 kernel modules exist and everything
>> can be set up without errors, it then just doesn't work.
>
> This is getting confused. Didn't you wrote "I can confirm that nf_*
> modules are not present in Debian's 2.6.18" ?

No, nf_* are not, but ip_conntrack_* are and there is no error when
I load a -m state rule with ip6tables.

> But you reply him that "this is still the case with 2.6.24."
> So what exactly is wrong with IPv6 conntrack in 2.6.24 ?
>
> On which pre-2.6.24 versions - besides Debian's 2.6.18 image which
> has  IPv6 conntrack support disable at build time, this is not
> a bug but a  feature - do you see an IPv6 conntrack bug such as
> the "don't seem to  register OUTGOING packets in the connection
> table" bug you described ?

Yes, http://marc.info/?l=netfilter&m=120717177831833&w=2

Other than that, this thread was to find out whether work has been
done on IPv6 conntrack since 2.6.18.

And apparently in 2.6.22, it's not fixed:

  http://marc.info/?l=netfilter&m=120721692500732&w=2

or is this just a Debian issue? CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_IPV6=m is set in
2.6.22.

> AFAIK, the only improvement in the area of this thread is that an error
> "can't load conntrack support for proto=10" is triggered when you try to
> use the 'state' match in ip6tables if the kernel is built with
> ip_conntrack, thus lacks IPv6 conntrack support.

Good. It *does* work on 2.6.24, so I guess we can close this thread.

"when a woman marries again it is because she detested her first husband.
 when a man marries again it is because he adored his first wife.
 women try their luck; men risk theirs."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx