Re: ip6tables icmp conntracking on 2.6.18 vs 2.6.24

also sprach Pascal Hambourg <pascal.mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008.04.03.1129 +0200]:
> Are you using a 2.6.18 kernel image from Debian etch or a custom one ?

Debian's.

> IPv6 conntrack requires the (now not so) new nf_conntrack, but in kernel
> versions older than 2.6.20 nf_conntrack did not support IPv4 NAT yet.
> Only the old ip_conntrack, the IPv4-only conntrack, did. So IPv6
> conntrack and IPv4 NAT were mutually exclusive. AFAIK 2.6.18 kernel
> images from Debian etch are built with ip_conntrack in order to support
> IPv4 NAT, and do not support IPv6 conntrack.

Excellent explanation, thanks. I can confirm that nf_* modules are
not present in Debian's 2.6.18, but they are with 2.6.24.

also sprach Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008.04.03.1136 +0200]:
> I noticed the same behaviour on Etch + kernel 2.6.22 (from
> backports.org): ICMPv6 echo replies are matched by INVALID.

See http://marc.info/?l=netfilter&m=120717177831833&w=2
And this is still the case with 2.6.24.

"whale feces or working at microsoft? i would probably be the whale
 feces researcher. salt air and whale flatulence; what
 could go wrong?"
             -- michael moyer, executive editor of _popular science_

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx