ip_conntrack growing indefinitely

Hi everybody. We're running a couple of Debian Sarge machines with 2.4.31 kernel doing NAT for our network. Recently we had troubles with lost packets because of full ip_conntrack buffers, and it's strange because usually the average number of connections is not more then 8000-10000. For now it has been patched setting ip_conntrack_max to 65536 but connections still grow indefinitely (seems NAT never drops old connections). Any idea of the reasons? Could be related with the kernel version (2 years old) we're running?

Thanks

--
Alexander Fortin
IT Consultant