Re: NAT on stateless firewall ?

Grant Taylor wrote:
On 08/03/07 14:56, Florin Andrei wrote:
arp -s XXX.YYY.ZZZ.KKK -i eth0 -D eth0 pub

Remember that ARP (cache) entries are just to tell a host where (what
MAC) an IP address (on the same subnet) is at so that the local host
does not have to ARP for it.

I tested it, but it doesn't seem to work. I see the ARP requests, but the server does not respond to it.

Just because traffic may be coming to the correct MAC address, there is
no guarantee that any thing will be listening or responding at that MAC
address for the IP address in question.  You would actually have to bind
the IP to the MAC for any thing of value to happen out side of sniffing.

I remember using this with host routes. The arp makes the packet arrive, routing gets it to it's destination. I'm actually surprised the above does not work. Unfortunately I currently have no setup to test this. Anyone can explain why it doesn't wwork?

M4