Re: NAT on stateless firewall ?

Florin Andrei wrote:
Grant Taylor wrote:

Dare I ask why you are wanting to use Proxy ARP?

Well, it's required by DNAT, isn't it?

I take that back. I figured it out.

I actually tested the idea yesterday, but it failed because one of the test machines was not configured properly.

To make proxy ARP work with DNAT, an IP alias must be created on the external interface, with the public IP address of the machine behind the firewall.

ip address add XXX.YYY.ZZZ.KKK dev eth0

where XXX.YYY... is the public IP address that corresponds to the private IP address of a server behind the firewall.

It's not even necessary to play with proxy_arp in /proc. Just the IP alias and DNAT.

I think you could even get away with just creating a static arp entry.

M4