Re: two subnets...

On 7/31/2007 5:40 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
Your knowledge never cease to amaze me.

*nod* Thank you. I like to share my trials and tribulations with others so that they do not have to fight the same problems that I have had to fight. I'm still working on getting our sales staff to not write such big checks with their moths that I can hardly cash with my sweat.

Could one use iptables to do this?

Possibly. If you enable the "Bridged IP/ARP packets filtering" (CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER) support in the kernel, yes IPTables would be able to filter this. However I do not know if it would be better to do this with EBTables or IPTables. The only thing that I can say to this effect is that EBTables is (native) OSI Layer 2 and IPTables is (native) OSI Layer 3+. With the "Bridged IP/ARP packets filtering" option enabled, you can use the OSI Layer 3+ features of IPTables on OSI Layer 2, however you are using a higher layer and more complex match than is in my opinion really needed. I think it would be akin to opening up Excel to calculate some numbers via formula verses using calculator. Seeing as how EBTables is (native) OSI Layer 2, which is where you are really needing to do you work, I think it would be a better solution.

Question, does the box that you are adding this 3rd NIC to already have IPTables set up and installed? If the answer is yes, I suppose that it would work just fine. If the answer is no (you are doing your SNAT / Masquerading elsewhere) then EBTables's basic match of in / out interface may work just as easily. Consider the complexity of what is in kernel.

If you do do your NATing / Masquerading on the system in question, you could have (for maintenance reasons) a clear separation of where your OSI Layer 2 and OSI Layer 3 filtering is done, with EBTables and IPTables respectively.

If you are concerned about needing to learn a new filtering structure and command syntax, don't be as EBTables is so similar to IPTables that it is uncanny. Incidentally so is ARPTables from what I remember. Nor do I think this similarity is by accident.

-A FORWARD -physdev --physdev-in eth0 --physdev-out eth2 -j DROP
-A FORWARD -physdev --physdev-in eth2 --physdev-out eth0 -j DROP
-A FORWARD -j ACCEPT

I have never worked with the physdev match extension so I can not say for sure. I do not recall which features were being taken out of main line NetFilter code, but I want to say that physdev was one of them, thus meaning you would have to keep patching the kernel when you upgrade to make this work. Thus in my opinion making the EBTables option more maintainable and thus more appealing.

Regardless, I'd still be very interested in seeing the ebtables ruleset to accomplish this.

ebtables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth2 -j DROP
ebtables -A FORWARD -i eth2 -o eth0 -j DROP

Note, you do not need to set the ACCEPT target because the default policy is to ACCEPT.

Thanks,

*nod*

ps pls reply to list; my email is a throwaway.

No problem. I generally only reply to the list / news group unless explicitly asked to do so. That way the answer is in the archives for others to benefit from.

Grant. . . .