Re: filtering in mangle table

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 15:32 +0530, Ganesan Natarajan wrote:
> Hi,
>        My requirement is before giving the packets to user space
> application(even before routing) I need to filter the packets. This
> has to be done for all packets irrespective of particular protocol.
>
> so I am using the the mangle table with PREROUTING chain to filter as
> well as to queue the packets using the DROP, QUEUE targets of
> "iptables". But in man pages it is specified that the filter rules
> should not be added into mangle table.
>
> Is there any issues if I proceed with that?
>
> Ganesan

We have been doing something very similar in the open source ISCS
network security management project (http://iscs.sourceforge.net).
Although the bulk of the tens of thousands of access control rules we
create for complex internal and micro-perimeter security are added to
our filter table, we handle malicious packet checks (spoofs, ping
floods, malformed packets, etc.) in the mangle table.  Seems to be
working fine for us! - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com