filtering in mangle table

Hi,
       My requirement is before giving the packets to user space
application(even before routing) I need to filter the packets. This
has to be done for all packets irrespective of particular protocol.

so I am using the the mangle table with PREROUTING chain to filter as
well as to queue the packets using the DROP, QUEUE targets of
"iptables". But in man pages it is specified that the filter rules
should not be added into mangle table.

Is there any issues if I proceed with that?

Ganesan