Looking for a how-to type battle plan for 2 physical subnets and an openvpn tunnel.

ok, I have a solution issue...

We just had a server cracked (fc4, built by my predecessor)

The server acts as a firewall, VPN Server, content filtering system,
samba server for files and ssh tunnel to the network.

There are 3 nics covering 2 physical subnets , school
administration/teachers and computer lab for the sudents, each with
thier own NIC and the gateway to the internet on the third.  Openvpn
provides a tun interface with a third subnet to manage.

Software we are running is iptables for the firewall, Openvpn for the
vpn tunnel between physical sites, samba and clamav/squid/dansguardian
for content filtering and openssh for remote access.

I am using Debia Etch for the server.

Is there anyone with a reference on how to manage this one?

I can get the old firewall rules into place, but adding ipmasq munges
it all up.  Without ipmasq there is no name based browsing at all.

At various times I can get the vpn happy, but no browsing.  if I try
to bring both physical subnets into play, it munges.  I have issues
with name based internet browsing, or a few minutes later, I have
issues with the ip address based access.  Ie: I can ping out, but not
name browse..  a bit later I cannot even ping out.

I am really lost here.

Help!
Please.

Bill Ries-Knight