Re: Time module included in the default Fedora

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Apr 11 2007 18:33, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>
>>The question whether to merge the time module came up repeatedely
>>at netfilter workshops, but it was always decided against it so far,
>>mainly because it apparently can't deal with timezones and daylight
>>saving time.
>

> Why, let iptables, or more precisely, ipt_time.c, handle timezones,
> and pass an UTC value to the kernel -- that's what it is best at
> dealing with.

Than it wouldn't be able to deal with DST I guess. As I said, the
kernel already has knowledge about the timezone, so it should be
possible to do this properly quite easily, but I have no interest
in doing this myself.

>>IIRC Harald had strong feelings about it, I personally
>>don't care much about this shortcoming as long as its documented.
>>I'm not even sure its correct since the kernel has sys_tz. So if
>>anyone finds out and submits a patch, I'll consider it.
>>

>>>Though that leaves me puzzled why connlimit has not gone in yet
>>>(it all simplifies maintenance so much IMO). BTW, how about it?
>>
>>As I stated multiple times, the reason why its not included is that
>>its horribly slow. But since I don't see any better way to do this
>>and I know quite a few people are using this, I would consider this
>>as well if someone sends me a patch, which has not happened so far.
>

> So it's just that I need to pull the pomng code and make a diff out
> of it, is that all? (Plus any compilation and perhaps runtime fixes,
> of course.)

>From a quick look I'd say:

- move to x_tables
- remove ip_conntrack stuff
- clean up
- fix up for recent API changes and improvements
- fix 32/64 bit issues
- use proper list macros
- use kzalloc

And explain to me why it needs knowledge about TCP states. That should
be enough to get a discussion started.