Re: Time module included in the default Fedora

Ccing Patrick and adding Reference-Hdr to [2] - questions to old
questions :)

On Apr 11 2007 09:52, Fred Trotter wrote:

>       I was told to write here about getting the time module
> included "upstream". I hope that someone here might be able  to
> educate me on the process for getting these things done. I understand
> that there are many iptables modules and that some are included by
> default while others are not.

There are only a few cases why a maintainer decides against:
  (1) it's a hack (best example: ipt_ROUTE)
  (2) it's unmaintained (now that's strange)
  (3) violates coding style (happens often)
  (4) not enough interest on the users' sides (gotta change that)

Ask nicely (see [1],[2]), and maybe things get rolling (or not).

[1] http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20061206.204842.c1c8628a.en.html
[2] http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20061207.030828.0d81b372.en.html

Though that leaves me puzzled why connlimit has not gone in yet
(it all simplifies maintenance so much IMO). BTW, how about it?

>       The problem is that the iptables userspace project documents
> the time modules as though it is included, but at least in Fedora it
> is not by default. They hold that they will not include it until it is
> included "upstream", they indicated that you would be able to tell me
> how to get it included "upstream".

iptables is not the same as netfilter (= the kernel part). This is
perhaps the biggest mystery. Why include something in iptables when
it is not in the kernel.
But that's how things currently are:
 - source files are in iptables
 - some get compiled because they are listed in the
   "always-y"-style line in the Makefile, hence their manpage part
   will show up in `man iptables`, but you cannot effectively
   use them because the kernel module is missing.

Jan