Question about iptables and bridging

Hi all,

I am currently using iptablesv1.3.5 on fedora core 5.  At this point I
am just playing around and trying to learn the system, but my general
idea is to setup my linux box as a bridge.  Ultimatly I then plan on
using firewalling to redirect/drop whatever traffic is deemed worthy.

So I have linux setup correctly as a bridge as so:

br0    :   inet addr - 172.20.134.7
eth0  and eth1 are unaddressed and part of the bridge.

I set this up as follows:
sudo ifdown eth1
sudo ifdown eth1
sudo ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
sudo ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
sudo brctl addbr "br0"
sudo brctl setfd br0 0
sudo brctl addif br0 eth1
sudo brctl addif br0 eth0
sudo ifup br0
sudo ifconfig  br0 172.20.134.7 netmask 255.255.0.0
sudo ip route add default 172.20.255.254

Now my problem with iptable is the following:

I tried to setup a rule to look for ICMP from a particular interface as
such.

iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -p icmp -i eth0
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -p icmp -i eth1
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -p icmp -i br0

Now, the only filter that ever matches any packets is br0.  So because
of the way the bridge works, if I can't use eth0 or eth1 as input/output
interfaces, then I can't really tell 'direction' of traffic between my
lan and my wan.

Is there something I am missing here? I would assume there is a way to
do this (tell direction over bridge) but I don't know what it is.... so
any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian