Re: how do I set the MAC address in POSTROUTING?

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Hello,

sean a écrit :
Daniel Musketa wrote:

AFAIK MAC addresses are used in ethernet to address ethernet frames. On ip routed ppp0 no ethernet frames arrive.

OK. If that's the case, then the --mac-source target would only work on a LAN, not over the ethernet.

I guess you mean over the *in*ternet. Ethernet is a LAN technology.

This would mean thatthe --mac-sourse target has very limited use - only on local LANs.

Indeed, the scope of a MAC address is link local, limited to the LAN.

But there is still a place for a MAC address.

On an IP/PPP link ? No way. A PPP interface has no MAC address, it is useless. There is a place only in the lines that the LOG target prints because they have a fixed format.

How can I put one in the packet on the client side? This would allow me to use it over the internet.

You cannot use MAC addresses over an IP/PPP link. You cannot rely on MAC addresses over the internet either because this is layer 2 information that is not routed by definition.

But I don't want to use the MAC address to route anything. I just want to stick it in the packet so _iptables_ will see it.

The internet routers just look at the ip address, so I wouldn't think they'd strip out the MAC address, do they?

If not, then if the client inserts a MAC address, couldn't iptables use it when it finally arrives.

sean