Re: how do I set the MAC address in POSTROUTING?

Daniel Musketa wrote:
On Friday 01 December 2006 01:23, sean wrote:
  MAC-ADDRESS-TEST: IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=ww.xx.yy.zz

Is this even an iptables issue?

AFAIK MAC addresses are used in ethernet to address ethernet frames. On ip routed ppp0 no ethernet frames arrive.

Daniel

OK. If that's the case, then the --mac-source target would only work on a LAN, not over the ethernet. This would mean thatthe --mac-sourse target has very limited use - only on local LANs.

But there is still a place for a MAC address. How can I put one in the packet on the client side? This would allow me to use it over the internet.

sean