RE: not able to ssh from the firewall

>>> I am not able to ssh from the firewall
>>> to a client. Though the reverse is
>>> working.
>>>
>>> I would also like to put :
>>>
>>> -A OUTPUT -j DROP
>>>
>>> But if I do that clients are not able to connect
>>> to the net. I need add a rule which I could
>>> not figure out.
>>
>> You should allow SSH out when you want to be able to use it.
>> SSH listens on port 22, so this should do it:
>>
>> -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>> -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
>> -A OUTPUT -j DROP
>
> No that did not work.

Of course not. AFAIK your current OUTPUT policy is still ACCEPT (see
below) so that should not be the problem. (Don't mess with the OUTPUT
chain untill your INPUT chain is working as you want it to.)

>>> :INPUT ACCEPT [80:13056]
>>> -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>>
>> It looks like eth0 is connected to the internet and eth1 to your LAN.
>> Check if outgoing ssh works using:
>>
>> -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Did you try this?
If it doesn't work, put a LOG rule just before the DROP rule to see what
get's dropped when you're trying to setup an ssh session.

>>> :OUTPUT ACCEPT [80:13056]
>>> -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
>>> -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

Here is where I see you're not dropping anything in the OUTPUT chain.
The first rule accepts everything so the second will never match and is
useless. Further, your chain polocy is ACCEPT, so if you're not going to
drop anything: why have rules in that chain to accept packets that would
be accepted anyway? Just get rid of the OUTPUT rules for now and leave
it's policy ACCEPT.

Gr,
Rob