Hardly loaded machines and iptables? Your experiences?

Hi all,

I need your opinion about heavy load machines acting
as firewals based on iptables package.
If I have Pentium 4, equiped with 1GB of RAM, two
NICs, one NIC to internet, second to private network (
in private network are servers ). On firewall (
iptables ) machine I have nat, pat, everthing using
iptables. How that works in  environment with many
reqestes to servers in the LAN, I mean about 10000
request per day? Have you experience about this topic.
Is there any limit on hits to iptables machine, what
is about memory, procesor.

What do you think is solution based on iptables enough
secure for mission critical cases? I just need your
frank opinion.

Thanks
Regards