RE: Preventing DoS attacks using iptables?

The answer is very simple:

You can not.......

DdoS attacks fill your pipe. Nothing iptables can do about that.
And preventing? How would you prevent a script kiddie sending the ddos
command to 1.000.000 of his bots?

The only way to block DdoS attacks is to do it upstream, where the pipe
is bigger than the attack.....

Syn cookies etc can help to keep your system stable during an attack,
but it will not be functional, as it cannot send or receive regular
traffic.

-Sietse