Preventing DoS attacks using iptables?

Hi all,

I have just one question related to preventing DoS
attack using iptables. I know there is possible limit
of receiving packets causef by DoS attacks using --m
limit --limit 1/s and on that way pushing firewall to
accept just on packet per second. But in some cases
the kernel will accept that packets and we can reject
theu putting 1 in /proc/sys/net/ipv4# cat
tcp_syncookies....According to

http://cr.yp.to/syncookies.html

where they say that this method is stil experimenting
I am asking you what is your experineces related to
oreventing DoS attacks this way.

Thanks

Regards