Re: no ssh on eth0

On 31.07.2006, at 15:44, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

former03 | Baltasar Cevc a écrit :
Why ? What is the difference with or without NAT ?
You can filter out all incoming packets to local IP addresses on the wan interface before NAT is done;

No you can't, unless you intend to do filtering in PREROUTING chain of the 'mangle' table.
I'd probably prefer to do it in the nat table (well, I do know that filtering should be done in filter only, but it works well that way, too). Another option would be to separate it using marks.

And for local host access, which was what we were talking about:
-t filter -A INPUT -i eth0 -d <local ip> -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-network-unreachable

if you just use MASQUERADE for outgoing packets, "iptables -A INPUT -i eth0.-d 192.168.0.0/16 -j DROP".

I just don't see how it is different whether you have NAT/MASQUERADE or not. To me filtering and NAT in iptables are fundamentally independent.
Sure, they are. However, if I nat, I can make the following assumption:
there are no (valid) packet addressed to internal addresses on eth0.
Which is something I can't assume when I don't have NOT. WIthout that assumption, I cannot prohibit as much as I can when I assume that.

Baltasar

--

Baltasar Cevc

_____ former 03 gmbh