Re: repeated failed logons and ignoring them

On Monday 26 June 2006 08:11, Rob Sterenborg wrote:
> On Mon, June 26, 2006 13:02, tyche wrote:
> > over the last few days, my server has been attacked. i
> > would like to limit remote logon attempts by address so
> > that if someone tries to logon from an ip address and
> > fails 3 times, my computer will ignore repeated attempts
> > from that ip address. any idea how to make a rule for
> > this?
>
> What type of logon? SSH, telnet, ...?

sorry, what comes from typing email when your still asleep.
most seem to be hitting my sshd, tho the username/password
combo leads me to believe that the person is using a database
to try to overload the server.

killed some pids that where owned by sshd and they kept
cropping up faster than i could kill them.

> There is a Netfilter authentication project called NuFW.
> You can find it at: http://www.nufw.org/index.php3?lang=en.
> Maybe it can help you accomplish what you need.

thank you will look into that.

tyche

--
Win9x

A 32 bit extention
to a 16 bit patch
for a 8 bit operating system
on a 4 bit machine
by a 2 bit company
that cant stand 1 bit of competition

    This Email is powered by ICA Canada OnLine
         http://www.icacanadaonline.com