Re: repeated failed logons and ignoring them

Netfilter doesn't know about authentication success of failure. Linux
PAM is what you are looking for.
You can simply modify your PAM configuration and use the pam_access
and/or pam_tally module.

You can read documentation about it there :
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam-6.html