libiptc linking problem under AMD64

Hi,
I'm writing an application that uses libiptc and iptables for various
monitoring applications.

http://www.freshmeat.net/projects/natstat

and I've come upon a small problem with libiptc on AMD64

It won't link into my program, because of lack of the flag -fPIC during
compile time.

I edited the Makefile for libiptc and put -fPIC in there, voila, everything
worked.
So my questions now are:

* is there a reason for not having -fPIC ?
* could you add -fPIC ?

Thanks in advance
/Tommy Wallberrg