Re: Linux box to D-Link router/bridge/access connection question

Thank you very much. I was able to communicate to the D-Link from my Linux boxes and get out to the high speed Internet from my Linux boxes.

BTW, my Linux boxes are running RH9.

But I would also like to be able to communicate with my wireless laptop to my Linux boxes and visa-versa.

What additional config do I need to do and where?

Thank you.
-Martin

Jesse Gordon wrote:

Two questions:
1) How can I get my linux boxes to see and communicate properly with my D-Link router?

D-Link's usually have a netmask of 255.255.255.0 -- and an IP of 192.168.0.1, and since your linux boxes are 192.168.1.x, they are outside of the netmask range and the dlink ignores them.

Set the LAN netmask on the dlink to 255.255.0.0, or change it's IP to 192.168.1.1, or change your linux boxes to 192.168.0.x..

Also, the dlinks default to have a DHCP server running on them -- so you could set your linux boxes to use DHCP to autoconfigure an IP, but then you wouldn't always know what IP they would be. (They would probably start at around 192.168.0.100 or so.)(To try dhcp, just type dhcpcd and press enter and wait. dhcpcd stands for "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Client Daemon. dhcpcd requests to be assigned an IP, netmask, default gateway, and DNS from the dlink.)

2) My linux boxes were using a dialup modem serial port to connect to the Internet. How can I change my connection from using the dialup modem to now go through the router to access the high speed connection?

After changing the IP or netmask as above, just set your default route to be 192.168.0.1 (or whatever you set the LAN ip to on the dlink.)

I don't know what distro you use, so I don't know which network configuration utility you would use, but to test it, you could type these on one of the linux boxes:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.0.0
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Of course you might type route -n (then press the ENTER key) to make sure there isn't already a default route.

You'll also need to set up a DNS server IP. You can use whatever network configuration tool you have or like, or you may be able to just edit /etc/resolv.conf and add the line:
nameserver 192.168.0.1

before any other 'nameserver' lines.

Hope this helps.

-Jesse