From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Jawed Ahmed
Sent: Tue 23-May-06 14:26
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: (Fwd) transparent proxying using Dansguardian

Hi group,
I am having a similar kind of problem.

I run Dansguardian and Squid on a linux Redhat 9 box.

and my source of internet is a DSL modem connected to another win2k PC. I have set
up RRAS service on the Win2k machine and allowed the linux pc access to ports 443
and 80.

on my linux pc I have given the IP of the win2k machien as gateway IP. using this setup,
I am able to access all sites of internet from the linux machine locally.

on the client PCs if I configure the proxy to connect to the IP address of the linux
machine and port number on which Dansguardina runs, then all sites open properly.

but if I configure the IP of the linux machine as gateway IP on the clients and configure
Internet explorer to connect directly to internet, then I am able to open only the normal
sites, I can't open secure sites.

on the linux machine I ran the following command
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-
port 8080

can anyone please suggest me if I need to do something else..

thaks
Jawed Ahmed

On 22 May 2006 at 20:26, Martijn Lievaart wrote:

> Elijah Alcantara wrote:
>
> >> See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/05/msg01434.html
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> M4
> >

> > Checked out the link. Actualy I'm not really planning to cache secure
> > connections like ssl, I only wanted to be able to redirect that
> > request to go directly to the internet (bypass squid).
> >
> > I currently have an iptable rule for that but it's currently not
> > working right...
>

> Ah, I see. How about
>
> -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --dport 443 -j SNAT --to 192.168.100.2
>
> Don't forget to turn on forwarding as well and create appropriate
> forwarding rules.
>
> Personally I would set this firewall between your clients and the
> Internet, in that case you don't need SNAT tricks, just basic FORWARDING
> rules.
>
> M4

> Fortune: India's No 1 edible oil brand.
> Visit us at www.adaniwilmar.com