Re: Login load balancing

Drew Leske wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a solution (and I'm not afraid of devving one if necessary)
to load-balance SSH logins over several mostly identical systems.  So far
the closest I have come is a solution using iptables, but I'm not sure it
will work, and I may well be overlooking some other solution.  Any ideas
would be appreciated.  My research has so far turned up little.

We have several systems that are, from a user's perspective, identical.
Their home directories are network mounted, libraries are synchronised, and
so on, so they don't really care which system they log in to.  Their work on
these systems can be quite intensive and may consume quite a few resources,
but must remain interactive (so a batch system running on a cluster won't do
it).

For the users it's a guessing game as to which of the machines they should
log in to at any point.  They may log in to the first and find it's heavily
loaded, and so log in to another, until they find the best.  A second
difficulty with this is the users have be aware of which machines are
available--and they are named, due to historical reasons, using a
non-contiguous numbering scheme.

So instead of the users logging in to bob3, bob6 or bob8, I'd like for them
to be able to simply log in to "bob" and be directed to the least-loaded
machine.

Round-robining on the switch won't do it, because if one of the systems is
absolutely pinned, every Nth login will still wind up there.

Determining which machines are least loaded will not be a problem.  The
metrics may be gathered using SNMP or some other means from the
participating hosts.  The problem is entirely in the redirection from 'bob'
to 'bob3', 'bob6', 'bob8'.

Logins are exclusively through SSH.  There is no need, and I don't
anticipate one (which means there will be some fantastic new request coming
in tomorrow) to support other protocols in this manner.

The only half-solution I have come up with so far is to define a 'director'
box with the 'bob' alias, and then periodically grab load metrics from the
participating hosts, determine of the 'bob's which is the least loaded, and
then *cough* update a DNAT rule to redirect requests coming in for 'bob' to
the least-loaded 'bobX'.

The last part feels horky, and I'm not even sure it will work, since later
packets coming in may be DNAT'ed to a different machine.  Also, the director
then routes all the packets for logins to all the boxes.  I can't see any
way to redirect the initial connection that won't cause all sorts of
problems with the client's firewalls.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Drew.

Hi Drew,

maybe you should take a look on "iptables random" - target.

Something like

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 22 -i $whatever \
	 -m random --average $[100/$howmuchserveryouvegot] \
	 -j DNAT --to $server1

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 22 -i $whatever \
	 -m random --average $[100/$howmuchserveryouvegot] \
	 -j DNAT --to $server2

Only one idea, but remember "the last rule should realy match" ;-)

Hope this is the right syntax.

Best

Sven