Multi default gateway and 2.4.30

Hi

I have just moved my firewall from a 2.6 debian machine to a 2.4.30
openwrt (linksys wrt54gs) box.

I orginially had this working with 2 isp, 1 cable 1 adsl and dyndns.

Now when i have moved to 2.4.30 I am having problems.  Everything else
is working fine except when I DNAT packets from the firewall to an
internal address, ie my web browser is inside so I DNAT from the
external IP  to the internal web server.

now I am getting time outs, upon investigation what is happening is that
packets are coming in, getting DNAT'ed, the web server is returning
them, they get un DNAT, but a new call to the routing table is made and
it seems to bypass the ip rules rules I have, all traffic that
terminates on the external IP is okay and doesn't suffer from the
problem.

I remember reading about patches for the iproute and the kernel but I
haven't kept up to date with those since I started using 2.6

Am i missing a patch ??

Thanks