packets skipping DNAT rules

I have some rules in the PREROUTING of the nat table that perform a DNAT however, on a very consistent basis the rules doesn't get applied and the packet ends up in the filter table without the destination modified. 95% of the time it works, 5% it doesn't. I can't put a finger on whats causing it, or see anything in particular about the packets that fail to DNAT. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

--
Ritter