Re: Problem blocking dhcp discoveries ??

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Martijn Lievaart wrote:

Martin Skarda zei:

Where is my mistake? Why do I see all the bursts on my dhcp server even
if  the dmesg output and the iptable counters are telling me that the
packages  are dropped?

Just a guess, but ISTR that the standard linux DHCP server does not use
the normal mechanisms, but talks to the network interfaces at such a low
level that it sees the packets before netfilter.

Why sould it do: When I look at the RFCs, I see that bootp is designed to use the UDP/IP. It only has to send a ARP request to get the MAC address of the client. But this is a normal behavior on a local network segment too!

The DHCP server I use, is the standard ISC server.

kindly, Martin