Problem blocking dhcp discoveries ??

Hi all,

I'm trying to protect my dhcp server with some rules within iptables against DoS with some limits. The limit module works fine, and when the burst-limit is reached, I'll see the "hopefully dropped" packages in my log target.

But the drop doesn't really work: the packages are still going through my firewall to my dhcp server. Even when I remove all rules from my input table, concerning/matching any udp traffic.

The dchp server is on the same machine, and I tested this behavior with a simple hping burst from a external host. My default policies are all set to drop.

here is my rulset concerning dhcp:
**snip**
$IPT -A DHCP -p UDP --sport 68 --dport 67 -m limit \
	--limit ${DHCP_FLOOD} -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A DHCP -p UDP --sport 68 --dport 67 -m limit \
	--limit ${LOG_FLOOD} -j LOG --log-level info \
	--log-prefix "(in): **DHCP-Flood** :"
$IPT -A DHCP -p UDP --sport 68 --dport 67 -j DROP
**snap**

Where is my mistake? Why do I see all the bursts on my dhcp server even if the dmesg output and the iptable counters are telling me that the packages are dropped?

thanks for your help,
  Martin