Re: connectionless port forwarding

On Fri, February 24, 2006 14:03, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm searching if I can do (or why not) a connectionless port
> forwarding. Google didn't help me, and now I'm using a std
> port forwarding using nat tables, but a smaller solution is
> better IMHO.
>
> I admin an "high" traffic web site. In last time there was
> an huge increment of web-spam/blog-spam traffic, which I would
> avoid.
>
> I want to direct traffic from a blacklist into an other port,
> so that a simple http server will advise user (and offer a
> graphical challenge) to unblock.
>
> Practically I want to mangle the port of blacklist-originated
> packets, from 80 to 81, and the opposite for outgoing traffic.
> Port 81 will be firewalled from extern, so I think there cannot
> be problem with connection identification / collision.
>
> Would it be possible?

I don't think so.
http://www.netfilter.org/projects/patch-o-matic/pom-submitted.html#pom-submitted-raw

<quote>
The NOTRACK target can be used to select which packets *not*
to enter the conntrack/NAT subsystems. Please keep in mind:
if you mark a packet with NOTRACK, then

- all the conntrack functionalities are lost for the packet
  (ICMP error tracking, protocol helpers, etc)
- all the NAT functionalities are also lost.
</quote>

Portforwarding is a form of NAT (DNAT) so you'd lose the functionality you need.

> Would it be lighter than std nat solution (and conncetion tracking)?
> Are there already some netfilter module? (or i should implement
> myself one?)

Maybe another possibility exists that I'm not aware of..

(Comes to mind, if you run a webserver on the firewall that hosts the webpages
you want to show the users on the blacklist, you probably wouldn't need
conntrack/NAT. However, running servers on a firewall is considered bad
practice and I'm not sure I'd do this in a high volume site like you
mentioned.)

Gr,
Rob